Frequently asked questions

Program suspension means the program has been canceled for that term only. For instance, if you have been notified that your specific fall-term 2020 program has been suspended, this means it will not be running for fall 2020. Unfortunately, there is no chance that it will be reinstated at a later time for that term.

  • The University of California Education Abroad Program has made the decision to cancel all spring 2021 programs in all locations, as well as many summer and fall 2021 programs. Impacted students have been emailed by the UCEAP Systemwide Office and UCLA IEO about the news. Read the entire statement.
  • UCLA IEO and UCEAP will keep applicants updated on the status of other programs.
  • The international education office has a COVID-19 FAQ with more information.

Unfortunately, due to the fluid nature of which programs may be suspended or canceled, backup applications will not be accepted. If students are concerned about a certain location, they must consider which program to move forward with. If a program deadline has not passed, students may always request to cancel their first application in order to submit a replacement. For other questions, email the UCEAP office at

Unfortunately, priority cannot be granted to previously registered or accepted students. Students who wish to apply to future study abroad programs will need to reapply and meet all eligibility requirements at that time.

Students should discuss these plans with their academic advising unit, as it is ultimately the decision of the UCLA College or individual school whether a student can extend their time at UCLA. While it is not an uncommon plan for many UCLA students, it will depend on the individual student’s situation. A few things to consider:

  • While you can walk at commencement ceremonies and participate in the fun aspects of the celebration, you must remain a currently enrolled UCLA student to attend most study abroad programs. To do this, your expected graduation term should align with the end of your study abroad program, which your academic advising unit can explain in more detail.
  • Students interested in using financial aid on a program following commencement should contact the UCLA Financial Aid Office to see what type of aid would be available to them and what action they need to take. Typically, these students will need to file FAFSA one more time.

For more information on international travel, visit the U.S. Department of State’s travel advisories page

Recommended COVID-19 resources

Covid Team

For journalists

UCLA faculty members are available for interviews with news media on a wide range of topics related to COVID-19, including public health and epidemiology, virology and vaccines, mental health, education, law, politics and the economy.

UCLA COVID-19 experts UCLA COVID-19 news stories

Have a comment about the information on this site?Send us a message