Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Dear Bruin Community:
In addition to this spring’s virtual commencement ceremonies hosted by the UCLA College and other schools, on April 13 Chancellor Block announced UCLA’s plans to offer in-person events recognizing graduating students in the Class of 2021. At that time, participation in these events was limited to graduates only. Following continued coordination between the campus and Los Angeles County public health officials, and in light of the continued decline of COVID-19 cases in the region, we can now welcome up to two guests alongside each graduate who would like to participate in our outdoor procession and individual recognition events at Drake Stadium.
Other recognition events hosted by certain professional schools and student groups at Los Angeles Tennis Center (LATC) will also be able to accommodate two guests for each graduate.
While specific details related to these events will be shared in the weeks ahead by event organizers and on UCLA’s Commencement website, we hope the following information will be helpful to those planning to participate in these recognitions:
- All Class of 2021 graduates, regardless of major or degree program, are invited to participate in the in-person procession and individual recognitions at Drake Stadium. For the full listing of student eligibility, please see UCLA’s Commencement FAQ page.
- The Drake Stadium events will begin on Thursday, June 10 at 9 a.m. and run through Tuesday, June 15 at 6 p.m.
- At the Drake Stadium events, which will be livestreamed, all participants will take part in a procession and graduates will have their names read aloud, proceed across a stage, and have their photographs taken.
- Guests who attend the Drake Stadium events must remain with their graduate during the entire procession; there is no guest seating. Requests for disability accommodation can be made at the time of registration.
- Registration for the Drake Stadium procession and individual recognitions will open on Tuesday, May 25 at 8:00 a.m. Additional information about how to register will be sent to graduating students. Graduates will be able to select the date and time they wish to participate on a first-come, first-served basis. We expect to have the capacity to include every Class of 2021 graduate who is interested in participating.
- Graduates participating in other professional school or student group celebrations held at LATC will also be able to invite two guests. Due to space, public health and accessibility concerns, the guests of participants in the LATC recognitions will not be able to join graduates inside LATC itself, but will be able to view the events from Annenberg Stadium or Drake Stadium via livestream and join their graduates after the events. Professional schools and student groups will share more information about these events directly with graduates, where applicable.
- Each graduate and guest who attends a Drake Stadium event or any recognition events hosted by professional schools or student groupsat LATC must either have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to the event, or complete pre-event COVID-19 testing within 72 hours of the event, with negative results. Each graduate and guest wishing to participate in these celebrations must meet and show proof of one of the above criteria before gaining access to the events.
- Information regarding parking, event program and other specific details about the Drake Stadium events will be shared on UCLA’s Commencement FAQ page.
- Guests of UCLA graduates in need of local accommodations are welcome to stay at UCLA’s Luskin Conference Center.
Additionally, we remain committed to inviting all graduates of the Classes of 2020 and 2021 back to campus for indoor commencement ceremonies when it is safe to do so. While the current realities of the pandemic limit our ability to fully commemorate the accomplishments of our UCLA graduates, we hope that the inclusion of guests at this year’s recognition events will help us honor our students while also acknowledging the families, friends and partners who do so much to support our graduating Bruins.
Campus operations Graduate students Undergraduate students
Monroe Gorden, Jr.
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs